Got ghee? Also known as clarified butter, aromatic, ghee has been an Indian culinary staple for thousands of years. Shelf-stable with a high burning point, it makes for an excellent cooking fat with a slightly sweet, nutty flavor. As all the milk solids are removed, ghee provides an alternative to those who deal with dairy intolerance. All these qualities are further enhanced by adding ORGANIC INDIA herbs, infusing super health benefits to this easy, creamy concoction. Ghee also acts as a preservative for herbs, protecting their nutrients and volatile oils.
A key adaptogenic herb in Ayurvedic tradition, Ashwagandha supports the body’s ability to respond and adapt to physical, emotional, and environmental stress. Also known as “Indian Ginseng,” Ashwgandha has been used for centuries as a natural source of energy and vitality.
In addition to boosting flavor and offering bright, golden color, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and antibacterial Turmeric has long been renowned for support in treating disorders of the skin, upper respiratory tract, and the digestive system. Modern studies increasingly support the use of Turmeric for relieving joint inflammation.
Indian cooks traditionally add many types of herbs to ghee, including Shatavari and Triphala, believing that it has a capacity to carry plant nutrients deep into the body’s tissues. Ghee is “tridoshic,” meaning that it may be used by all three constitutional types — vata, pitta, and kapha.
While supermarket ghee can be on the pricey side, making it at home is quick, simple, and less than half the typical cost. Better yet, making your own ghee provides another way to integrate healthy, potent herbs into your diet. We love adding our ORGANIC India Turmeric Formula and our ORGANIC INDIA Ashwagandha when making ghee, but any of our adaptogens and other supplements will do beautifully. All you need to do is melt unsalted butter in a pan with your infusion ingredients of choice, skim off the milk solids, and strain well. The trick, when making ghee, is to keep a close eye on the pan — plan on staying by the stove for at least 25 minutes.
This recipe yields approximately 10 to 12 ounces of ghee per one pound of unsalted butter.
- 1 pound unsalted butter (preferably organic, grass-fed butter)
- 2-4 Teaspoons ORGANIC INDIA Herbal Supplement of choice, such as Turmeric Formula, Ashwgandha, Shatavari, or Triphala capsule
- Clean glass jar with lid
- For ease of melting, roughly chop sticks of butter and place chunks in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat.
- Once the butter is melted and starts to simmer, you’ll see foam and milk solids rising to the top. Remove these with a spoon.
- Stir in 2-4 Teaspoons of your ORGANIC INDIA Supplement of choice. Continue simmering on low, allowing to cook until the ghee becomes a mostly translucent, golden amber. You will see some solids sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- After approximately 20-25 minutes, the ghee should be done. Remove from heat and allow to cool, then strain through a cheesecloth or fine-mesh strainer into a clean, airtight glass container. Store at room temperature for up to three months, or up to one year in the refrigerator.