It’s possible to enjoy great food that keeps you on track with clean eating through the holidays. Here are three recipes that are as tasty as they are wholesome.
Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
No Thanksgiving table is complete without tender dinner rolls. Pumpkin puree and a sprinkling of orange zest elevates these mini breads with a subtle, sweet richness. ORGANIC INDIA Orange Psyllium Fiber both enhances flavor and brings natural binding properties, making it easy to make these hearty rolls vegan or gluten-free.
ORGANIC INDIA Psyllium Pre & Probiotic Fiber heat-tolerant products deliver potent health benefits, supporting the immune system and digestive health with essential pre and probiotics and digestion-aiding herbs. While we love the hint of citrus from the Orange variety for these rolls, the Cinnamon Spice and Original varieties work beautifully, too. Make on the day, or bake ahead and freeze for up to one month. Enjoy!
- 1 package active dry yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
- 2 ½ cups warm milk (may substitute unsweetened almond or other non-dairy, or low-fat milk)
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 large egg, optional
- 5-plus cups white whole wheat flour, bread flour, or gluten-free flour blend*
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons ORGANIC INDIA Orange Psyllium Pre & Probiotic Fiber
- Cooking spray
- Additional milk for brushing, if desired
* For gluten-free flour blends, we recommend adding ½ Teaspoon xanthan gum and eliminating kneading. Instead, lightly combine until forming a dough and let rest one hour before baking.
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk and maple syrup in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add orange zest, pumpkin and egg, if using. Beat at low speed 1 minute or until combined.
- Combine flours, salt, and ORGANIC INDIA Psyllium Pre & Probiotic Fiber in a bowl.
- Add half of flour mixture to milk mixture; beat at low speed until combined, scraping down sides of bowl with spatula as needed.
- Remove paddle attachment; insert dough hook. Add remaining flour mixture as needed; beat at medium-low speed 4 minutes or until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface; knead 5 minutes or until smooth. Place the dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F) for 1 hour or until roughly doubled in size.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut dough into 12 equal portions. Working with 1 portion at a time (cover remaining pieces to avoid drying), gently roll into a smooth ball. Place rolls in a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray, leaving space between rolls. Cover and let rise another hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. when the second rise begins.
- If desired, brush rolls lightly with milk to give a shiny gloss.
- Bake 30 minutes or until baked through. Let cool approximately five minutes before removing from pan.
Mashed Potatoes with Turmeric Tofu
This year, pass on processed tofurky and savor this simple plant-based recipe instead. Marinated in ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Turmeric Ginger Tea Infusion, Turmeric Formula, and other seasonings, baked tofu slices are succulent and meaty without the meat. The subtle sweetness is perfectly complemented by a bed of creamy, golden mashed potatoes, made with ORGANIC INDIA Turmeric Formula and a delicious way to incorporate more of this powerful spice into your life.
Lauded for its medicinal properties, anti-inflammatory turmeric has been celebrated for centuries as both food and medicine. ORGANIC INDIA Turmeric Formula offers bright color, warm aroma and flavor, and heaping health benefits, including supporting immune system health, digestion, and joint health. ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Turmeric Ginger Tea Infusion blends Tulsi with turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon to naturally support the immune system and support detoxification. Moreover, this dish’s mellow flavor pairs well with all the usual Thanksgiving sides, from cranberry sauce to stuffing.
Ingredients: for the Turmeric Tofu
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained
- ½ cup boiled water
- 3 ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Turmeric Ginger Tea Infusion bags
- 3 Tablespoons reduced sodium gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- ½ Teaspoon ORGANIC INDIA Turmeric Formula (2 capsules)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½-inch piece ginger root, peeled and grated
- Wrap tofu in a clean dish towel and top with a weighted object such as a cutting board for ten minutes.
- Prepare the marinade: steep ORGANIC INDIA Tea Infusion bags in boiled water for five minutes. Remove bags and add the tamari or soy sauce, Turmeric, garlic cloves, and ginger.
- Once the tofu is pressed, slice into 12 even pieces. Lay pieces in a glass casserole dish and cover with the marinade. If possible let the tofu marinate eight hours or overnight, turning the tofu pieces roughly halfway through the marinating time.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove the tofu pieces from the marinade and place on a baking pan lined with silpat or foil. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until tofu is golden brown and firm. Serve with Turmeric mashed potatoes.
Ingredients: for the Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds unpeeled Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into approximately 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ORGANIC INDIA Turmeric Formula (4 capsules)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup butter, vegan butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup milk of your choice (unsweetened soy milk or regular 2% and more have equal creaminess)
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Optional fresh parsley and chopped spring onions for garnish
- Place potato chunks in a large pot of cold, lightly salted water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then let simmer, covered, until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 -20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle with turmeric and mash with a masher or fork.
- Add butter or oil of choice; stir until well combined.
- Add ½ cup of the milk and stir to combine. Continue adding milk as needed to reach desired consistency. Season to taste.
Masala Chai Poached Pears
Simple and elegant, poached pears make for a luscious sweet ending for any occasion. Coupled with ORGANIC INDIA Masala Chai Tulsi Infusion, results are nothing short of sublime. Strong brewed tea provides an aromatic and flavorful poaching liquid that reduces to a smooth finishing syrup brimming with the potency of Tulsi (Holy Basil) and other robust adaptogenic herbs.
- 4 ripe yet firm Bosc or Bartlett pears
- 4 cups strong brewed ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Masala Chai, using 2 Tea Infusion bags per cup water for a total of 8 bags
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut or monk fruit sugar
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- Peel the pears and cut them in half from top to bottom, leaving the stems intact. Core each pear half by scooping out the center with a melon baller or spoon. They can also be peeled and left whole.
- Add the brewed tea, honey or maple syrup, and sugar to a 4-quart pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir until the sugar and honey are dissolved, then add the ginger and cinnamon stick.
- Place the pears into the liquid and turn the heat down to a simmer. Place parchment paper over the top of the pears to prevent them from floating. Cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the pears can be just pierced with a fork.
- Transfer the pears and the poaching liquid to a smaller container and cover until serving.
- 30 minutes before serving, simmer the poaching liquid until reduced to a syrupy consistency. Serve over pears. (You can also serve the pears immediately with a ladle of poaching liquid, or chill and serve cold.)