How do you like your latkes? Flat, lacy, and sizzling, or golden brown and a little plump? Whatever your take, you can’t go wrong with these classic, delicious potato pancakes. With ORGANIC INDIA Psyllium Pre and Probiotic Fiber, you can have your pancakes and eat them, too, whatever your personal dietary needs and preferences. In this healthy variation, we meld russet and nutritious sweet potatoes and go light on oil and fat. If you have a hankering for the traditional crisped-up version, though, go for it! This forgiving recipe welcomes all kinds of variation, including full-fat frying and oven-baking.*
ORGANIC INDIA Psyllium Pre & Probiotic Fiber products naturally contain unique binding properties that allow you to ditch the usual eggs in many dishes, while also making it easier to go gluten-free. Even better, these award-winning products support immune system health and overall wellness with 5-in-1 benefits, including essential pre and probiotics and digestion-aiding herbs. Feel free to experiment, but be sure to make a full batch! Even if the holidays are mellower this year, these latkes will go fast. Enjoy!
Yields aprox. 15 latkes.
- ½ lbs. peeled sweet potatoes
- ½ pound peeled gold or russet potatoes
- ⅓ cup sliced green onion
- ⅓ cup all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 2 Tablespoons ORGANIC INDIA Original Psyllium Pre & Probiotic Fiber
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, optional
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for frying
- Use a food processor to grate your potatoes. Let shredded potatoes sit for a couple of minutes, then wrap them in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze as much moisture out of them as you can.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry, grated potatoes, onion, sea salt and pepper. Add the flour and psyllium and stir to evenly combine. Stir in egg, if using, and oil.
- Warm oil (about 1 Tablespoon, or enough to coat the pan once warmed) in a heavy skillet. Working in batches depending on the size of your pan, drop approximately ¼ cup of batter per pancake. Flatten with a spatula and cook, flipping once or as needed, until each side is a deep golden-brown, about 3-5 minutes per side. Add oil to pan as needed between batches.
- Remove hot latkes from the pan and drain on paper towels as needed, keep warm on a tray in the oven, or serve immediately with garnishes of choice, such as applesauce, sour cream, and chopped chives.
*Oven-baked option: Heat oven to 400 F. Scoop approximately 1/4 cup of the mixture for each latke onto a very well-oiled baking sheet. Flatten to approximately 1/4-inch thick. Bake for 8 minutes. Flip the pancakes and bake, until golden brown, approximately 8 minutes before serving.