Make the most of whatever your pantry has on hand with this hearty dish. The possibilities for variation are endless: from fresh and frozen produce to canned or dried beans, this chili casserole delivers. ORGANIC INDIA Original Psyllium Pre & Probiotic Fiber acts as a binding agent to the lightly crisp and warming gluten free cornbread topping while adding bulk to the veggie-packed filling.
Eating the right foods is easily the best — and most delicious — way to nourish a healthy immune system. Natural prebiotic psyllium is recognized for its role in promoting beneficial bacteria for a healthy gut. ORGANIC INDIA’s award-winning Psyllium Pre & Probiotic Fiber products support immune system health and overall wellness with 5-in-1 benefits, including essential pre and probiotics and digestion-aiding herbs. Not only are ORGANIC INDIA psyllium products easy to blend with other foods, from smoothies to stews, they offer unique properties that open new, healthy horizons to gluten free and vegan baking.
- 2 Teaspoons olive oil (or cooking spray)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Approximately 5 Cups fresh or frozen mixed vegetables, chopped, of choice, such as bell peppers, zucchini, carrots, and mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 Teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ Teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 Teaspoon ORGANIC INDIA, Original Psyllium Pre & Probiotic Fiber, optional
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (or approximately 2 Cups cooked from dry)
- 1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (or approximately 2 Cups cooked from dry)
- 1 Cup ground cornmeal
- 1 ⅓ Cups gluten-free flour blend
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- ½ Teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ Cup ORGANIC INDIA Original Psyllium Pre & Probiotic Fiber
- 1 ½ to 2 Cups as needed, unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ Cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup, optional
Prepare the filling: Heat a skillet coated over medium heat. Add the olive oil (or cooking spray) and saute the onion for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
Add the garlic and continue to cook for a further minute, stirring.
Add the vegetables, beans, tomatoes, and spices and cook until vegetables are becoming tender, about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in psyllium, if using. Transfer to a 9 X 13 baking dish or similar.
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Prepare the topping:
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, gluten-free flour, ORGANIC INDIA Psyllium Pre & Probiotic Fiber, baking powder, and baking soda.
Add 1 ½ cups of the almond milk, oil, and maple syrup and stir to combine.
Add the additional ½ Cup almond milk as needed to achieve the right consistency — batter should be thin enough to easily spread, but not so runny that it sinks.
Spread topping over the chili mixture and bake for 25-30 minutes until cornbread is beginning to become golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy!