No matter the season, there’s nothing quite like fresh bread. The classic comfort is all the better when each bite delivers real, homemade health benefits. In this delicious golden loaf, ground turmeric and sunflower seeds shine with earthy, nutty flavor when paired with protein-rich spelt flour — light enough for sandwiches and hearty enough to transform a crisp salad into a satisfying meal–a perfect choice for summer.
As well as lending warm color, aroma, and flavor, the ORGANIC INDIA Turmeric Formula offers anti-inflammatory benefits that naturally support immunity, joint health, and more. Adding ORGANIC INDIA Psyllium Pre & Probiotic Fiber further promotes digestive health, delivering essential pre and probiotics and herbs.
Spelt is higher in fiber, vitamins, and water solubility than other varieties of wheat, and more easily digestible. Not only does this more delicate structure yield tender, mouthwatering bread, it requires minimal kneading as well. In fact, creating this fragrant, tasty loaf takes so little active time, you may just feel tempted to cut out store-bought bread for good.
- ½ Cup warm water
- 1 Cup warm unsweetened almond or other non-dairy milk
- 2 ¼ Teaspoons fast acting yeast
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon ORGANIC INDIA Turmeric Formula (4 capsules)
- 1 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon ORGANIC INDIA Original Psyllium Pre & Probiotic Fiber (or ORGANIC INDIA Original Psyllium).
- 1 ½ Cups bread flour*
- 2+ Cups spelt or sprouted spelt flour
- ⅓ Cup sunflower seeds or seed mix
*If desired, you can replace bread flour with whole wheat pastry, white whole wheat, or additional spelt flour, resulting in a denser texture.
- Mix the warm water, milk, maple syrup, and yeast in a bowl and let sit 5-minutes, or until the yeast activates.
- Add the olive oil, flours, turmeric, psyllium if using, and the salt to the yeast mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until a loose dough forms.
- Place the dough into a large greased bowl and cover with a tea towel or large plate. Let rise at room temperature for two hours, or until the dough is roughly doubled in size.
- When the dough has risen, knead gently in the bowl until it’s smooth and stretchy. This should only take approximately 5-8 minutes. Cover again and allow to rise for a further 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Fill a roasting pan or similar on the lower rack, filled with approximately 1 Cup of hot water.
- Press an indent into the dough and place the seeds inside. Gently knead and fold to distribute, then shape the dough into a loaf or round and place in a parchment-lined baking tin (8 X 4 or similar) or on a lined baking sheet.
- Slash the top 2 or 3 times, roughly 1/2 -inch deep at a 45 degree angle, with a knife. Sprinkle top lightly with flour. Bake on the middle rack approximately 30 minutes, or until the loaf is nicely browned and sounds hollow when thumped.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before slicing. Enjoy!