We’re loath to bid farewell to summer, but may find consolation in apple season. Loaded with apples and cinnamon, this wholesome apple cake is a true celebration of fall. ORGANIC INDIA Cinnamon Spice Psyllium Pre & Probiotic Fiber blends beautifully with light oat flour, making gluten-free vegan baking a dream. Plump Medjool dates are a perfect pairing with apples for delectable natural sweetness, but feel free to swap in honey for more traditional taste. Topped with delightful nutty, crumbly topping, this moist apple cake is nutritious enough for breakfast, rich enough for Rosh Hashanah dessert.
No need to purchase expensive flours to make this wholesome treat—all you need is oats! For this recipe, place approximately three cups certified gluten-free oats in your food processor. Whizz on high, pausing to scrape sides several times, until you’ve achieved a fine flour. Typically, oat flour performs best when mixed with almond or other bulkier flours, but ORGANIC INDIA’s psyllium products bring unique binding properties to ensure superb results with oat flour alone. Not only that, the heat-tolerant probiotic strain offers powerful wellness benefits, supporting the immune system and digestive health with essential pre and probiotics and digestion-aiding herbs. In addition, ceylon cinnamon is packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties–giving this delicious treat a one-two punch of wellness.
For the cake:
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates, soaked in warm water for ten minutes*
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond or other non-dairy milk
- 2 Teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 ¼ cups oat flour (or approximately 3 cups oats, processed)
- 2 ½ Tablespoons ORGANIC INDIA Cinnamon Spice Pre & Probiotic Fiber
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- ½ Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¾ cups peeled, chopped apple (about 2 large)
For the streusel topping
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (swap in ½ Cup quick oats and/or extra flour for nut-free)
- ¼ cup flour of choice (rice, oat, whole wheat, gluten-free)
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tablespoons ORGANIC INDIA Cinnamon Spice Pre & Probiotic Fiber
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8x8x2-inch baking pan or similar with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Drain dates and transfer to a high speed blender or food processor with the milk, lemon juice, vanilla, oil, cider vinegar, and applesauce. Blend until smooth. The mixture will resemble the thickness of pancake batter.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the oat flour, ORGANIC INDIA Cinnamon Spice Psyllium Pre & Probiotic Fiber, baking powder, and baking soda, making sure the psyllium is thoroughly distributed throughout.
- Add date-milk mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Fold in apples. Spoon batter into the prepared baking pan, using a spatula to evenly spread the thick batter.
- Prepare the streusel: Add all dry ingredients for the streusel to a bowl, stir with a whisk, then add the wet ingredients. Use a spoon to combine everything until the mixture is slightly crumbly. Spoon or sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*Swap in 1 cup honey for the Medjool dates for a more traditional apple honey cake dessert; in place of blending, simply add in all the wet ingredients at once to the mixing bowl and combine with the dry.