The hustle and bustle of the holidays are finally over. Now you can sit back and relax! What’s that you say? You’re bored? Feeling stuck? Overwhelmed? Don’t let those new year doldrums get you down. Here are seven fun and easy activities that you can start doing today. Get out there and embrace the new year!
1. Join a Yoga Club – Whether you are a full-blown yogi or just looking to get started, chances are that there is a yoga club in your area! Yoga clubs are traditionally for all skill levels and involve fun gatherings, specialty workshops, yoga sessions, and more! Hop on to Meetup.com and see if there is a group meeting near you.
2. Volunteer – There's never a wrong time to help out in your community. When you give to others, you are able to experience the joy of compassion and empathy in action. Whether you clean up trash off the streets or serve food at a local soup kitchen, make it a resolution to help those in need throughout 2017.
3. Get Crafty – Channel your inner Martha Stewart and dig out that glue gun! Log on to Pinterest and see what strikes your crafting fancy. You can make all sorts of things, from jewelry to centerpieces, even outfits for your pets! Save your creations and give them as gifts for birthdays, celebrations, and upcoming holidays!
4. Enroll in a Dancing Class – Thanks to popular websites that offer group discounts, it’s never been easier and more affordable to take dancing lessons! Feel like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers by getting your partner to join in the fun. Not only is dancing a wonderful way to get cardio exercise, it’s a great way to meet new people! Put on your dancing shoes and get groovin’!
5. Walk it off – Did you know that walking has been shown to help you live a healthier and happier life? Studies have shown that daily walking helps with weight management, promotes strong muscles, and can boost your mood. Walking is also a great stress reliever and mood up-lifter. Next time you feel sluggish, frustrated, or melancholy, instead of sitting on the couch in despair, try going for a short walk. You may be surprised how much better you feel after moving your body, even if just a little! If you're ready for the long hall - dust off your athletic shoes and hit the road!
6. Be a Tourist in your own Town – Can’t afford a plane ticket to a fancy destination? Why not be a tourist in your own town? Visit your local art museum, try out that new restaurant, or admire one of the city parks. You could spend a whole day touring areas that you have never ventured out to. You may be surprised with what you discover!
7. Let Loose – Whether it is a famous pop star or a local garage band, find some groovy tunes in your area and head out to a concert! Studies have shown music to improve blood pressure levels and help to boost moods. Whether it's with friends, family, or solo, live music is sure to brighten your winter spirit.