Have you ever just felt a little “off” and didn’t know why? Nothing seems to be really wrong, but you just don’t feel like yourself. Maybe you’re tired during the day and just don’t have the energy to get out of bed. Perhaps you are struggling to lose those few extra pounds that keep making themselves at home on your body.
Most women experience these symptoms at some point in their lives and don’t realize that they could be a sign of a hormonal imbalance. I spent many years “not feeling like myself” because I failed to recognize that my hormones were out of whack. Here are some tell-tale signs that your hormones are out of balance, and some tips for getting back on track:
- Good-bye Sex Drive: One of the biggest indicators that your hormones need to be balanced is a decrease in libido. Believe it or not, 70 percent of having a low libido is caused by hormones. In many cases, estrogen dominance is the culprit for not wanting to “get it on.”
- Stubborn Belly Fat: When I gain weight, it always seems to go right to my mid-section. Worst of all? It seems impossible to shre! Many women with a hormonal imbalance experience the same thing. They will spend countless hours at the gym and see little results. I have found that incorporating foods rich in protein help me battle this belly fat. Turns out, studies show that a high protein diet is linked to a significantly reduced risk of belly fat gain! I’ve also found that cutting refined carbs and sugar has not only helped me lose weight, but it has improved the way I feel throughout my body. By swapping out processed, synthetic foods for living, nutrient-dense options, your body will naturally begin to lose weight and thrive!
- Can’t Stop those Cravings: I call these “the hormone munchies,” and for years I was notorious for caving into the cravings. A few hours after dinner, I would find myself craving anything that was salty and sweet. When I started incorporating fiber-filled foods into my diet, my cravings stopped. I found myself going through the day with a nice sense of fullness. One of the easiest ways to incorporate fiber into your diet is by adding ORGANIC INDIA Whole Husk Psyllium to your smoothies, drinks or water. ORGANIC INDIA Whole Husk Psyllium not only contains both soluble and insoluble fiber, helping promote a sense of fullness, but also helps to support the entire gastrointestinal system while promoting regular bowel movements.
- Mood-Swing Central: Do you find yourself getting angry for no apparent reason? Are you starting to cry at silly commercials being played on the evening news? If your moods are all over the map, this may be a sign of hormonal imbalance. Rather than accept this roller-coaster of emotions, try eating a diet full of mood-boosting nutrients. Focus on getting enough calcium, iron, folate, vitamin B6 and magnesium into your meals. Start supplementing with ORGANIC INDIA’s Joy! supplement as a way to boost your energy levels while promoting vitality throughout your body. This is one of my favorite supplements because it contains Bacopa, Ashwagandha, and Gotu Kola—time honored and world-renowned herbs that help support a healthy, happy mood!
- Energy Fluctuations: One minute you are bouncing around and feeling full of energy, the next you are exhausted and can’t seem to muster the energy to do much of anything. One of my favorite ways to find balance is to sip a cup of warm ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Tea. Tulsi is an adaptogenic herb, which means that it helps our bodies to adapt to stressful situations and establish balance. It has been shown to restore balance throughout all systems of the body, and is especially powerful in stabilizing energy levels. With so many ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Tea flavors to choose from, you will never get bored with your cup of tea! I recommend trying the ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Honey Chamomile Tea to support calm energy and restoration.
Establishing hormonal balance is an ongoing process. We experience hormonal fluctuations throughout our lives due to aging, environmental stressors, menstrual cycles and more. Fortunately, there are easy, natural solutions to help balance your hormones on an ongoing basis.
ORGANIC INDIA’s Ashwagandha and Shatavari supplements are powerful herbs to support balanced hormonal levels.
Like Tulsi, Ashwagandha is an adaptogen, supporting balance and stability throughout all systems of the body; it is particularly helpful in supporting proper functioning of the adrenals, an intrinsic part of achieving hormonal balance.
Shatavari is traditionally taken throughout a woman’s life in order to support and promote normal and healthy hormonal and reproductive functions.
Taken together, Ashwagandha and Shatavari will support you on the road to hormonal balance. As with any Ayurvedic herbs, be sure to stay consistent with your regimen for several weeks to a few months, in order to experience the full benefits and steadily support deep seated change.
As with all herbs, it's best to work with a practitioner to design a regimen that is best for you and your individual body.
Cheers to a balanced life!