As a Natural-Foods Chef, I like to find ways to help people enjoy a more healthy version of the foods they love. I challenge myself further, with aiming to keep those recipes seasonal, for better flavor and nutrition.
With that in mind, I created my gluten-free, vegan oat bars. This oat and fruit based treat serves well as dessert, or as a sweet breakfast for those on the go.
It's peach season! It's a great time to take to our environment and local produce for sweets and treats.
The hint of ginger in these bars plays a big role. The spice’s warming properties aid in digestive, circulatory, and immune support, while also stimulating nutrient assimilation!
Specifically, ORGANIC INDIA's Ginger provides a high quality, organic, whole herb ginger ground into powdered form. You can find their ginger in capsule form to take as a convenient herbal supplement for soothing digestive support.
This is a snack that you can truly feel good about eating, as well as truly indulge in. Feel free to substitute the flour and sugar to your liking!
For the base topping:
• 2 c Gluten Free Flour
• 1 ½ c Oats
• 1 ½ c Raw Turbinado Sugar
• 1 t Sea Salt
• 1 t Vanilla Extract
• ¾ c Coconut Oil, melted
• 1 c Chopped Walnuts
For the peach filling:
• 2 lb (32 oz) Peaches (fresh or frozen)
• 1 c Brewed Ginger Tea (2 ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Ginger tea bags)
• 2 T Maple Syrup
• ¼ tsp Sea Salt
• 2 ORGANIC INDIA Ginger Capsules (contents only) or 1/2 tsp of ground ginger.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare base of the oat bars by mixing all dry ingredients, except coconut oil and walnuts, into a large bowl. Stir till ingredients are mixed evenly.
2. Add melted coconut oil in two stages, mixing till incorporated. Do not add more coconut oil then recipe calls for. Better to use less then more.
3. Use small baking dish (I used a Pyrex tray sized 7” x 11”). Line with parchment (do not grease). Fill with 3 cups of the mixture. Spread out evenly and press firmly to pack down mixture. Cover with parchment paper and chill in fridge for at least 1 hour. You can make the base in advance and store for up to a week.
4. Take remaining base and add 1 cup of chopped walnuts. Set aside.
5. Brew 1 cup (with 2 tea bags) of ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Ginger tea! (this strong yummy brew will be used in the filling!)
6. Place 16 ounces (1 bag) of sliced peaches to a small pot. Add the ginger tea, maple syrup, sea salt and ground ginger. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 20 minutes or till liquid has reduced by half. Stir occasionally to keep peaches from sticking to pan. Let cool to room temperature or place mixture in an ice bath to cool more quickly.
7. Once oat bar base has firmed, add the peaches. Top with remaining walnut oat crumble. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, or till oat crumble is a nice golden brown.
8. Serve hot to enjoy as a cobbler. For oat bars, let cool to room temperature, then place in the fridge to chill (they slice more easily when cold). Store in an airtight container in fridge for two weeks or the freezer for up to six months.
Makes 8-10 oat bars!
About the Author
Whitney Aronoff is a Natural Foods Chef based in Laguna Beach, California. She graduated from Southern Methodist University with a degree in Communications, and went on to culinary school at The Natural Gourmet Institute in New York. She works as a personal chef and recipe developer, with a focus on healthy, whole foods cooking. You can follow her food and travel adventures on Instagram at @WhitneyAronoff or on her website www.WhitneyAronoff.com.