What if I told you that your breakfast could offer you a full tummy, gentle detox, proper elimination, improved gut health AND some immune benefits? Today I want to share one of my go-to recipes for myself and my clients, that offers several therapeutic benefits, in addition to being a tasty breakfast.
We all know fiber is an important piece of a healthy diet. Not only is fiber a regulator, but it is also involved in the delivery of essential nutrients to the entire body. A large portion of our population is under consuming fiber rich foods, which has caused a surplus of fiber rich powders and formulas to surface the market. Many of these fiber formulas contain additives that have a negative impact on the body for numerous reasons, but namely because they are not a natural source of fiber!
Instead of opting for an overly processed formula, I encourage my clients to seek out natural formulas that are readily available in foods. This means increasing whole food sources of fiber from things like chia seeds, berries, avocados and my favorite, Psyllium!
Up until recently, I would instruct many of my clients to add Whole Husk Psyllium to their water, a couple times per day. Not the most delicious way to consume fiber, but totally therapeutic for those who need it. That said, I wanted to create a recipe that not only offered the benefits of the fiber filled husk, but also tasted delicious, making it easy to incorporate on a regular basis.
You can read more about the benefits of Whole Husk Psyllium here.
I created this Spiced Psyllium Husk Porridge for a high fiber, high nutrient breakfast, using ORGANIC INDIA's Whole Husk Psyllium. This recipe is an excellent gluten and grain free alternative to your typical morning cereals or breakfast bars. It offers gentle detox from turmeric, Psyllium and ghee, in addition to sugar-metabolism-supporting cinnamon, digestive-supporting cardamom, and nourishing goats milk or coconut milk, depending on your preference!
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1 heaping tbsp ORGANIC INDIA Whole Husk Psyllium or 1 packet Psyllium Lift
- 2 tbsp Coconut flour
- 1 tsp ORGANIC INDIA Turmeric Powder or 1 packet Turmeric Lift
- 1 tsp Cinnamon or 2 capsules ORGANIC INDIA Cinnamon (contents only)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2-3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup goats milk (option to sub coconut milk, soy, or almond milk)
- 1 heaping tbsp ghee (option to sub coconut oil or non-dairy butter)
- Pure liquid stevia or raw honey to taste
- Suggested toppings: bananas or seasonal fruits and berries, walnuts, coconut flakes, cacao nibs
1. Combine psyllium, coconut flour, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, vanilla, milk and water in a pot, and bring to a boil.
2. Turn heat down to medium and using a whisk, stir porridge until it begins to thicken, and the liquid has cooked off
3. Transfer to a bowl and stir in 1 heaping tbsp. of ghee
4. Garnish with your favorite toppings! My favorite combo at the moment is coconut flakes, blueberries and turmeric.
About the Author
Erika is a Holistic Nutritionist and owner of Erika Elizabeth Nutrition. As a healer, Erika's desire is to welcome the power of our intuition back into our decisions around food and health. She works with clients to cultivate a synergistic relationship with food, body and intuition, inspiring a diet revolution where our inner knowing paves the path to optimal health. Erika is the chief blogger and founder of By Erika Elizabeth. As a blogger, she uses this platform to share her personal food story, with the intention to inspire others to move away from dieting and into food freedom. In addition, Erika shares original recipes, her signature tonics and elixirs, wellness hacks and more. Erika is the creator of By Erika Elizabeth Elixirs, a line of herbal tonics and elixirs designed to nourish the body on the deepest level, inspired by the ancient wisdom of Ayurveda. Erika believes that feeding the body is a sacred and joyful practice. Her elixirs are a physical manifestation of this philosophy. By Erika Elizabeth is also a meal delivery service, based in Boulder, CO. Erika's food features a local and seasonally inspired, rotating menu. All meals on the plan are free of gluten, dairy, soy, refined sugar and industrial vegetable and seed oils. Erika uses ALL organic produce and only organic and pasture raised meats. You can find Erika on Instagram and Facebook at @byerikaelizabeth.