Editor’s Note: There are so many cleanses out there. Panchakarma is a staple in Ayurvedic practice, but if you’re just not feeling like yourself after an abundance of Halloween treats, try sipping our Tulsi Cleanse Tea and avoiding sugar, gluten, dairy and alcohol for a few days. With plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, this helps your body reset!
Fall is one of my favorite times of the year. The trees are turning beautiful shades of red and orange, the weather is getting brisk, and people are starting to think about the upcoming holiday season. One of the ways I get ready for this is by participating in a cleanse program.
A cleanse helps me feel energized and healthy, ready to take on the busy season! There are many different ways that we can rid our bodies of the toxins that can leave us feeling tired, dull, and generally unwell. Whatever program you select, make sure you are following my five easy tips to get the most out of your cleanse!
- Stay Hydrated – It is no secret that our bodies are primarily made up of water. When we get stressed, exercise, drink diuretic beverages (like coffee, alcohol, or cola), we deplete our bodies of this valuable element. When you are participating in a cleanse, it is very important that you keep up with your water intake. That’s because our bodies are working to flush out potentially harmful toxins that prevent us from feeling happy and healthy. How much water should you drink? Take your body weight and divide it in half. The number you get is the total amount of water (in ounces) that you should be drinking a day. Is water to boring for you? Try adding a bit of lemon or lime juice for some added flavor and a boost of vitamin C.
- Practice Mindful Meditation – I’m not going to lie, participating in a cleanse or detox can be a bit frustrating and sometimes downright stressful! That’s why it is important to take time to meditate each day, bringing you back to your centered self. Not only does meditation help you relax and unwind, it has been shown to have astounding health benefits. Set aside at least 20 minutes each day to practice mindful meditation. Turn off the phone, close the laptop, tell the kids to be quiet, and sit in a room free from distractions. If you can’t control the noise level in your environment, try downloading some meditation music MP3s. This will block out those everyday sounds and help you sink into pure bliss.
- Cut back on Coffee – Sorry coffee lovers! If you are participating in a cleanse or detox, it’s time to ditch that daily cup of Joe. Instead, reach for a big mug of ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Tea. Tulsi is an adaptogenic herb, helping to restore balance and harmony to your body. There are so many flavors of ORGANIC INDIA tulsi tea to choose from, some specific to helping you cleanse! I recommend trying a cup of ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Cleanse Tea. This tea contains a blend of herbs including Krishna Tulsi, Turmeric, Ginger, Bhumyamalaki, Katuki, and Kalmegh, which work together to provide an effective daily liver and kidney cleanse. These herbs also work to restore the body’s detoxification system by optimizing liver and kidney function.
- Fill up on Fiber – Not only is fiber a wonderful way to make your body feel full, it helps to promote healthy digestion. This is especially important when it comes to detoxing or cleansing. Your body needs to have regular bowel movements to help remove the toxins that are coming out of your body. I recommend adding a tablespoon of the ORGANIC INDIA Whole Husk Psyllium to your green juice or smoothie. Psyllium is a simple way to boost your fiber intake, especially first thing in the morning. Best of all? It is virtually tasteless so you won’t even know that it is in your favorite beverage!
- Spice things Up – Not only are spices like ginger and turmeric a wonderful way to boost the flavor in your smoothies and juices, they are a great way to help further along your cleanse! Ginger in particular is extremely helpful in promoting proper circulation throughout the body. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory herb while relieving any bloating or cramps you may experience through your cleanse. Turmeric is another powerful anti-inflammatory herb that is abundant in antioxidants, perfect for fighting off those harmful free radicals inside of your body. Try adding a teaspoon or two of the ORGANIC INDIA Ginger Root Powder or Turmeric Powder to your morning smoothie. It will give your drink a nice little “zing” to the flavor while helping promote wellness in your body.