This month we are going to explore ways to support you in both looking and feeling good by nourishing YOUR SKIN! Your skin is a marvelous creation. It helps define your vitality and youth while serving as the ultimate protection for your internal body. It is both your shield from external harm and your ticket to limitless beauty.
Your skin is your largest detoxification organ - a pathway for your body to rid itself of toxins. Therefore, your skin is closely tied to the workings of your internal organs, especially your digestive system, liver/gallbladder, blood, lungs and immune system.
Disorders of the skin are a direct reflection of these systems. If you experience skin problems, this may be an indication of poor digestion or diet. If your skin is dry, this may be an indication that your gallbladder needs some support or you are low on healthy oils. Think of your skin like a mirror of the overall health of your body and its level of nutrition. The more you clean up and nourish the inside, the more radiant you will become on the outside.
Here are some easy and powerful ways to help you glow from the inside out:
- Hydrate – This is the number one thing you can do for your skin. Drink at least half of your body weight in ounces of water daily to keep your skin looking and feeling its best. Hydration not only helps to firm and plump the skin, but also helps to move toxins out of your body. Oils are also extremely important for silky, hydrated skin. I love coconut oil for this purpose. You can take 1-2 Tbsp of coconut oil daily in a smoothie or other food to replenish your oils internally and also rub this beautiful oil on your skin as a nourishing topical treatment. Coconut oil is naturally anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and antimicrobial so it is a great way to keep your skin looking and feeling great. A little bit goes a long way!
- Nourish – Eat more whole, nutrient-dense foods that are as close to nature as possible. If you can’t pronounce an ingredient, don’t eat it! Fruits, veggies, nuts, beans, and seeds are all amazing skin-boosting foods. Decrease your intake of foods that clog up your system and your skin like white sugar, white flour, fried & processed foods, caffeine, and animal products.
- Detoxify – The cleaner you are on the inside, the more radiant you will be on the outside. Cleansing can be done with saunas, dry skin brushing, cleansing herbs and exercise. My favorite supplement for both helping to detoxify the body as well as improving digestion is Triphala. To be super efficient, start your day with 2 caps of Triphala and a large glass of warm water to hydrate your body while boosting your detoxification pathways at the same time!
- Feed Your Skin – Many herbs can powerfully nourish the skin. Neem, Amalaki, and Turmeric are my personal favorites. These three herbs support the body's detoxification channels that are responsible for early wrinkles, skin irritations and blemishes. These skin renewing herbs rejuvenate the skin for a clear, healthy radiance. These herbs are extremely rich in the antioxidants needed by the body to repair damaged skin cells and to rebuild new ones. The ability to regenerate new skin cells will allow you to fully capture the dewiness and youthful glow that healthy, radiant skin provides. Take 2 capsules of ORGANIC INDIA Turmeric, Neem, and Amalaki daily with plenty of water to give yourself the building blocks you need for beautiful skin.
Gorgeous Skin Renew Mask
And now for a fun “do it yourself” anti-aging mask. Use this mask once a week to properly hydrate and restore moisture to the skin. It is super simple to make and to use and you will love how your skin glows. In a bowl combine:
- 2 Tbsp oat or chickpea flour
- 2 capsules each of ORGANIC INDIA Turmeric, Neem, and Amalaki (empty the contents and mix)
- Add milk or water until you achieve paste consistency
- If your skin is dry, you can mash in 1 Tbsp avocado
- If your skin is red or itching, add in 1 Tbsp of aloe vera
- If you have acne, add in a capsule of Neem
- Combine the flour and the mixed herbs in a bowl and mix together.
- Start adding a little milk/water to the mixture, mixing with a spoon until a thick paste is created. You can modify the ratio of ingredients until you get the correct consistency.
- Add in the optional ingredients if desired.
- Once the paste is made, apply to your freshly washed face.
- After 20 minutes, the mask should have hardened. You can then wash it off with warm water.
- Pat dry and apply normal moisturizer.
- Then admire how beautiful you are in the mirror.
May you be happy. May you be healthy. May you be peaceful.
Dr. Christy Garner